Scott Shapiro, M.D. – Charlotte BHRT Doctor
Scott Shapiro, M.D. dedicates his Indian Trail practice, Dr. Scott’s Restorative Health & Wellness, to Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine in order to best help men and women prevent the disease process before it begins and naturally reduce illnesses that are due to aging, hormonal imbalances, and poor lifestyle choices. Switching to a functional and preventative medicine model allows Charlotte BHRT (Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy) Doctor, Scott Shapiro, M.D. to give his patients the care that they deserve.
Scott Shapiro, M.D. provides high quality, personalized care focusing on both wellness promotion and disease management. He builds satisfying, long-term relationships with his patients and their families based on communication, integrity, and trust. He aims for excellence through a commitment to continuous improvement. Dr. Shapiro promotes consumer-directed health care by offering quality services at an affordable cost, thus increasing access to care for the uninsured.
As one of Charlotte’s leading Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy experts, Scott Shapiro, M.D. recognizes that a personal connection with his patients is the best way to really understand the underlying causes of their conditions and develop the most effective Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for each unique patient’s needs. Dr. Scott has been a board certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist and has over 30 years of medical experience.The most rewarding part of his practice has been seeing the incredible impact preventive medicine has had on the lives of his patients. Dr. Shapiro added Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to his list of services because he wanted to be able to offer the very best treatment options to all of his patients suffering from hormone related conditions. One of the reasons he was so impressed by Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is that it is made unique to each patient, ensuring optimal results without risks of side effects from one-size-fits all medications.
Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in Women
Sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone work to promote vitality in the body, and when the body cannot produce adequate levels of these hormones, women may feel lethargic or tired all the time.
- Weight Gain
- Disproportionate ratios of estrogen and progesterone often lead to weight gain. In cases of low estrogen, the body holds onto fat to preserve estrogen because adipose tissue contains estrogenic compounds, and low progesterone leads to water retention because it is a natural diuretic.
- Estrogen dominance brought on by stress, aging, or dietary factors often promotes endometriosis. Progesterone works to counteract estrogen by inhibiting tissue growth in the breast and uterus, while estrogen promotes tissue growth in these regions of the female body.
- Premenstrual Symptoms
- Feeling irritable, angry, tired, bloated, achy, and hungry are common symptoms that women struggle with before their menstrual periods. Extreme premenstrual symptoms are often the result of hormonal imbalances; however, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can balance hormones and reduce premenstrual symptoms.
- Low Libido
- Degenerating levels of sex hormones often lead to a reduced desire for sexual activity, which can put a strain on intimate relationships. Replenishing hormone levels can restore the desire for sex in women and boost overall libido.
- Memory Loss
- Functioning to detoxify the brain, balanced levels of estrogen can help to reduce memory loss and mental fogginess, while potentially preventing Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Increasing levels of estrogen or uneven ratios of estrogen and progesterone can promote the development of fibroids. Balancing hormones with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy may help the development of more fibroids or the enlargement of existing fibroids.
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep are common challenges for women under high levels of stress or women going through perimenopause or menopause. Restoring hormone balance can help women to easily fall asleep and avoid waking up multiple times during the night.
- Mood Swings
Outbursts of anger, anxiety, or depression may develop due to hormonal imbalances; correcting and optimizing hormone levels can reduce mood swings and promote a general sense of wellbeing.
- Hot Flashes & Night Sweats
- Working to signal the hypothalamus, which is the body’s temperature control center, estrogen and progesterone must be at optimal levels, or the signals going to the hypothalamus may get confused. Balancing hormone levels can help women to prevent or reduce hot flashes and night sweats.
Overcoming depression can be a difficult task when hormonal imbalances are present because lower levels of hormones can reduce the presence of neurotransmitters that create feelings of contentment and calmness.
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Imbalanced hormone levels can cause women to experience one or many symptoms of sexual dysfunction, which can greatly affect libido and self confidence. Optimizing hormone levels can promote healthy sexual function, strong libido and restore energy and excitement to your relationship.
Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in Men
- Muscle Loss
- Declining levels of testosterone can cause men to lose several pounds of muscle mass because testosterone plays a huge role in the development and maintaining of muscle.
- Weight Gain
Decreasing levels of testosterone often means increasing levels of estrogen, which suppresses testosterone. Lower levels of testosterone slow down metabolism and can cause body fat to accumulate.
- Playing a large role in the way energy is extracted from cells, hormones that are deficient or out balance can lead to lethargy or ongoing fatigue.
- Sleep Problems
Challenges falling or staying asleep can occur in men due to hormonal imbalances; restoring hormones to optimal levels can greatly reduce sleep disturbances and improve sleeping patterns.
- Growth of breast tissue in men can occur due to falling testosterone levels and rising estrogen levels; however, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy may be able to reduce gynecomastia.
- Hot Flashes & Night Sweats
- Signals going to the hypothalamus, which is the body’s temperature control center, can become disrupted when hormones are imbalanced. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can balance hormones to reduce hot flashes and night sweats.
- Low Libido
- Maintaining intimate relationships can become difficult when men encounter low libido; however, replenishing hormone levels can help to increase the sex drive.
- Depression & Irritability
- Commonly, men with hormonal imbalances experience depression and irritability because hormones play a role in balancing brain chemistry and influencing moods.
- Hair Loss
- Dwindling levels of healthy testosterone can lead to rising levels of a particular form of testosterone that causes hair follicles to die away. Optimizing testosterone and other essential hormones can reduce hair loss and preserve hair follicles.
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Blood flow is greatly affected by hormones, and if blood cannot flow smoothly because hormones are imbalanced, men may suffer from erectile dysfunction. Restoring hormonal balance may improve sexual function and reduce instances of erectile dysfunction.
- Urinary Problems
Less than optimal hormone levels can cause muscle atrophy, and because the urinary bladder is a muscle, its strength can become reduced with hormonal imbalances, leading to urinary issues in men.
- Memory Loss
Reduced concentration, mental fogginess, and decreased cognitive functions can all result from hormonal imbalances; restoring hormones to ideal levels can help to improve overall brain function.
As a Charlotte BHRT Doctor, Scott Shapiro, M.D. emphasizes the prevention of disease and helps patients work towards the restoration of optimal levels of health. As a result of Dr. Shapiro’s advanced treatment plans, many women and men have been able to rise above the challenges that occur due to hormonal imbalances.